Rough Day in History
On the bright side:
- 1775: The first (modern) antislavery society was founded.
- 1860: The first successful Pony Express route was achieved.
- 1939: “The Grapes of Wrath” is published.
On the dark side:
- 1846: The Donner Party started what would become a cannibalistic adventure across the U.S.
- 1986: The heaviest ever hailstones fall, killing 92.
- 1999: Hail again! Australia’s most costly natural disaster.
- 2010: The Icelandic volcanic plumes started that shut down air travel all over Europe.
On April 14th: Lincoln was shot (1865), the Titanic hit an iceberg (1912), and the Great Plains saw the worst dust storm of the Dust Bowl era (1935).